Friday, July 15, 2016

Being a Youtuber is hard

Greetings all; Shardvixen here,
     I have to say in the short time, as far as youtube channels go, I have been creating and uploading videos, youtubing is like all other things in life.  It looks really easy but in reality it is hard work.  Don't get me wrong. The creating of the videos and the uploading them is really easy so I am pretty accomplished in that.  It is making a successful youtube channel, that people will visit and watch.

I have been thinking about if I want this to be a hobby or a career.  If it is a career, it will be very slow work because being disable makes doing some of these things hard believe it or not.  Time is an issue as well.  So for now, it is a hobby which may or may not work into being a career or job.  All will depend on whether or not the doctors can figure out what is wrong with my shoulder and other parts of my body and then whether of not I have to get a job outside of my home.

There are factors I have to look at if I want to make this my job within my home.
  1.  How to carve out time when I am battling pain and watching my grandson.
   2.  How do I sell myself when I can barely get people on or off line to take time to view my videos?
   3.  Do I have the time to do my blog, my writing, my videoing and social media because right now I can barely keep up with Facebook.
    4.  Even with my skills at time management, it is hard to find the time to edit, explore blender, write, record and create content when I have doctor, therapist and job readiness training ( which we determine if I can work)
     5.  Making money with youtube requires you have views.  To get the views regularly, you need a good subscriber base ( family and friends don't work, if they don't watch your videos and mine don't so either way it is a bust for me.)
      6.  I need the views if I want to make the bucks.  For many of the youtubers, I have research: it has taken any where from 2- 3 years to get to a spot where they are making livable money.  So if I start now and I can get the subscribers which I haven't really at this time, I could be making money by 2020.  I will be 55 years old.  This plan is based on me doing this full time rather than part time.
     7. The above plan is also based on growth which states you should be able to double your views by every 3 to  6 months.
   25 viewers within 6 months to 50 within a year is a bit slower than I had guessed I would be doing and I am not even at 25.  It is possible that my content is boring and too long and I am not funny enough watch.  So getting the 25 may be a bit more challenging than I first thought.  By the 1st year you should have 100 based on other channels growth.  11/2 would give 200  if you are really slow.  By the 2n year you need to be hustling to get to 1000.  I have figured I would need to pull in  If you are being paid the base cost of 2 dollars per view, then a channel would need to be having for each video at least 500 views which would give you you around 500 dollars after Youtube took their cut.  In my case if every video did that I would be able to make about 1,500 per day.  But I know and you know nothing ever goes the way one plans.  But it is possible is you could keep the 500 views steady to make that.  Which means if you did get paid for every video and every view, in my case you could pull in about $1800 per month.  Something I can't imagine but can at the same time.  It would be so nice.

At this point, I need to think about if I want to allow adds at the beginning of my videos, because that is another way you get paid, as well as being sponsored.  But to be sponsored you also have to have some notoriety among the viewers because companies aren't going to pay this fox to say "yum.  I love.....(    ) and you should too" because no one out there cares what I am doing right now.

So while I am thinking about the money, it is at this time at the bottom of things I want from my channel.  I want to make content I like and maybe find others who like it as well, create creative videos for entertainment and have fun learning how to do it all and make it look beau-tee-ful  at the same time.

I had though of making crafting and behavioral help videos for about two years before I decided to upload my first gaming video.  I had thought of making a crafting studio where I could show people how to make things cheaply.  I was going to us Umdemy( I think that is how it is spelled) to sell my videos.  Then one day, a very painful day for me because I had to stop doing my volunteer work due to pain and mental health issues) I was watching Jacksepticeye for my son and he said, "You...you should make your own channel."  And I though, yes I should.  Granted at the time, I really though it was an easy thing to do,  shame on me.  But even with all the hard work, I find it really fun 95% of the time.  The other five percent is my most painful days when I am so tired, I can't think,    I just can't think to do any thing.

So I will keep working on my channels.  I will keep blogging about them especially when it seems I will never go any where with it and will never see 25, 30, 40 , 50 or 100 viewers and views.  I will keep writing down what I want to do and keep pushing through my lack of knowledge, equipment or personality to find out where this path will eventually lead me.

I also promise to check back to this blog every six months(if I can remember) to see if any growth has accuse.  Hopefully more people will read these as well.

I am outta here, catch you on the flipside.  Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment